Each class will be divided between a lecture/ discussion, demonstration and in-class work.
• Learn techniques to create hair flowers.
• Learn palette work, or drawing with hair.• Learn history about Victorian hair work, as well as importance of hair in some cultures and art.
Readings + Links to other content
Literature: Required Readings will be supplied by the instructor
Recommended but not Required:
• Hair-work and Other Ladies Fancy Work , Mrs. C.S. Jones & Henry T. Williams
• The Art of Hair Work: Hair Braiding and Jewelry of Sentiment, Mark Campbell
• Collector’s Encyclopedia of Hairwork Jewelry, C. Jeanenne Bell
The Lock of Hair , Alexanna Speight
• Bring a sketchbook (for notes, planning projects and idea sketching)
Supplies to be discussed the first night:
Collect or buy hair- can be collected from friends, relatives, hair salons or barber shops or buy hair from a wig shop or online (extensions are the most affordable).
Knitting needles- different sizes are preferable, but you will definitely want a size 3 or 4
26 gage wire - black (other colors if wanted)
Exacto knife- blade #18 & #19
Small table hands free magnifier