The University of the arts




Matriculated programs earn students an official credential in their chosen program of study from the University of the Arts.  These programs require official application and acceptance before registration is permitted.  Matriculated program options include the MEd in Educational Program Design (EDPD), MEd in Educational Technology (EDPD and ETEC) and graduate certificates in the areas of Educational Technology (ETEC), Inclusion (INCL), Literacy (LITY) and The Arts (VPAS, PRES and UTPS).

General Policies for the Professional Institute for Educators are listed below.

If applicable, view our Policies for Non-matriculated students.



Matriculated students will receive a University of the Arts student account upon acceptance to the program which will permit them to register online for courses via Student Self Service.

Financial Aid 

Federal financial aid is not available for these programs. Please contact Student Financial Services to discuss options for alternative and/or private loans at 215.717.6170.

Back to top


Academic Advising Self Service - Student Planning

The Student Planning module within Self Service is the new hub for course offerings, advising and registration. Self Service allows you to do the following:

Advising is While all students are encouraged to schedule individual advising sessions with the staff of the Professional Institute for Educators, matriculated students are assigned an advisor; the student is required to meet with his/her advisor at least once each semester to discuss the student’s academic program. Students are encouraged to seek out the advisor as soon as any difficulties begin to occur.

Back to top


Transfer Credits

A maximum of six credits of graduate coursework may be transferred from accredited institutions outside of the University and/or non‐matriculated graduate credit earned from the University of the Arts toward the MEd in Educational Program Design.

A maximum of three credits of graduate coursework may be transferred from accredited institutions outside of the University and/or non‐matriculated graduate credit earned from the University of the Arts toward graduate certificate programs offered by the Professional Institute for Educators.

Credits may be applied toward the graduate degree or certificate requirements upon approval of the Program Director. All transfer credits must be graduate‐level classes or upper‐level undergraduate classes taken for graduate credit at an accredited college or university, and the student must have earned a grade of B‐ or higher. Additional information, such as syllabi, may be requested in order to determine course content applicability. Only credits are transferable, not grades.

Back to top


Refund Policy

All refunds are less nonrefundable course fees.




Five business days prior to the

first session of classes



Less than five  business days prior

to the first session of classes



At the end of the first session of classes



On or after the second session of classes



All withdrawals must be submitted in writing via email to . The date stamp is the date used to calculate the refund amount. Please allow up to 10 business days for review.

Note: It is not our policy to transfer registration from one course to another. Requests of this nature will be processed as a withdrawal, according to the refund policy above.       

Back to top

Academic Standing

A student’s academic standing is determined at the end of the fall and spring semesters on the basis of attempted semester credits and cumulative grade point average. To retain good academic standing, graduate students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for graduate students and meet all minimum grade requirements of their major program.

The minimum grade requirement per course for MEd and graduate certificate students is a grade of C or higher.

The University periodically reviews the student’s cumulative record in order to ensure good academic standing. A student’s normal and satisfactory progress toward degree requirements for their program is of primary concern in determining academic standing. When the University notes problems in academic performance that may jeopardize a student’s standing, the student will be notified.

Students who have received an Incomplete will not have their academic standing evaluated until the seventh week of the following semester, when final grades are due.

Back to top


Grade Point Average Requirement (GPA)

A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for good standing and for graduation for MEd and graduate certificate students. If a student is unable to achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0, he or she will be placed on probation. The student must then bring his/her cumulative GPA back to at least 3.0 by the end of the next semester or face dismissal from the program.

Back to top


Mandatory Enrollment Terms

MEd and graduate certificate students are required to take a minimum of two courses per academic year.  Students must enroll in a minimum of one semester per academic year. 

Back to top


Leave of Absence

Only students in good academic standing may request a Leave of Absence.  A leave of absence constitutes as two consecutive semesters during which the student is not enrolled in the MEd or graduate certificate program courses.  A leave may be granted only once within a 12-month period. MEd and graduate certificate students will be permitted to be away for one semester without official notification to the University. However, if the student elects to continue his/her leave into a second consecutive semester, the University must be officially notified or the student will automatically be withdrawn. If a student plans to be away for more than two consecutive semesters, a leave cannot be granted and the student must instead withdraw from the University and apply for readmission at the time he/she wishes to return. Students who have withdrawn, but seek readmission within no more than two semesters will receive priority consideration for readmission over students who have been separated from the University for a longer period of time. 

The “effective date” is the date of separation from the University that will be noted on the transcript. For medical leaves of absence, the Dean of Students sets this date based on the history of a student’s medical condition.

If the student does not register for the term following the end of his/her leave of absence, but wishes to resume his/her studies at a later date, the student must apply for readmission.

If a student is granted a leave of absence for a future semester, but is subsequently placed on probation for the current semester, the leave of absence will be converted to a withdrawal. The student will be notified, in writing, of his/her conversion to “withdrawn” status by the Office of the Registrar. Students who are converted to a “withdrawn status” must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the policies described in the University catalogue.

Back to top


Conferral of Degrees + Diplomas

The Office of the Registrar confers degrees three times each year, with graduation dates of August 31, December 31, and following completion of the spring term in May. Commencement Ceremonies take place once a year in May and are administered by Student Affairs.

Students who are conferred degrees in August or December are welcome to participate in commencement ceremonies the following May.

Students should review their degree audit before registration closes during their final semester to confirm they will complete their degree requirements by the conferral date for which they petitioned to graduate. The Office of the Registrar is available to answer questions concerning degree audits and degree completion.

The availability of diplomas for pick up or mailing varies by the time of year. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Back to top


Degree Candidacy + Completion

Each graduate student’s progress within their discipline as well as their thesis proposal will be reviewed by a Graduate Committee upon reaching the midpoint of their program. The committee will formally determine a student’s eligibility as a degree candidate and if the student is ready to continue toward development and completion of the thesis or graduate project.

To be certified for a degree, a graduate student must:

  • Submit a Petition to Graduate, with the Office of the Registrar
  • Fulfill all degree requirements within degree completion time limit
  • Satisfy the minimum residency requirements

  • Achieve a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA

Back to top


Degree Completion Time Limit

Graduate students enrolled in the MEd in Educational Program Design have seven years from the date of matriculation to complete their degree requirements.

Graduate students who have not met the requirements for graduation within the time allotted may be subject to new degree requirements as determined by the School Director and the Office of the Registrar on a case-by-case basis.

Back to top


Graduation Fee

The graduation fee is a one-time, non-refundable fee applied to a student’s account after they petition to graduate.  The fee is assessed regardless of a student’s intent to participate in commencement.  See the tuition and fees page for more details.

Back to top


Petition to Graduate

The submission of a Petition to Graduate notifies to the Office of the Registrar that a student intends on having completed all requirements for their program upon completion of the term for which they petition. Petitions are submitted via the student’s MyUArts Record account during the final year of their study.

The petition notifies the Office of the Registrar of a student’s intention to graduate, how the student wishes their name to appear on their diploma, the address where the diploma should be posted if it is not collected from the Office of the Registrar, and the term for which a student expects to complete their degree requirements.

Meeting the requirements for graduation is the student’s responsibility. If a student fails to complete their degree requirements by the completion of the term for which they petition a new petition must be submitted. If a student needs to make a correction to a previously submitted petition they may complete a new petition via MyUArts Record, which will replace the previous instance.

Back to top

General Policies - Professional Institute for Educators

Academic Information

The University of the Arts is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Professional Institute for Educators at the University of the Arts offers both matriculated and non-matriculated graduate-level courses. Non-matriculated students include:  students who have their Bachelor’s degree and are taking additional course work in preparation for applying to a graduate program; students interested in applying graduate credits towards Masters Equivalency Programs; students taking graduate coursework to fulfill PA certified teachers professional development requirements; and students who wish to remain non-degree seeking but are interested in enrolling in course work for personal fulfillment.  Matriculated students are those who have applied and been admitted into either the Master of Education or Graduate Certificate Program.

Educators taking courses for credit are required to complete assignments for evaluation outside of direct contact hours. These assignments may include lesson plans, readings, papers, projects, presentations or other work relating the course content to classroom application. Most final course projects will be due two weeks after the final class meeting.

Back to top

Student Code of Conduct

The University reserves the right to deny registration to any student based upon the student’s prior behavior or actions in a previous class, program or workshop at the University.

Additionally, any current student may be dismissed from his/her class and the program if found to be disruptive or behaving inappropriately in class or on the University campus. Students dismissed from any UArts Continuing Studies program will be denied admission to future terms and programs.

Students in the Division of Continuing Studies at the University of the Arts are expected to adhere to a Student Code of Conduct.

Back to top

Academic Integrity/ Honesty Policy

Academic Integrity is a commitment to the core values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect and responsibility and their role in ensuring the health and vigor of the academic and creative community. The university community is continually mindful of the need to preserve academic integrity standards, inclusive of any technological advances in delivery methods of information access and use.  Please note that students are encouraged to contact their instructors and/or the University librarians for guidance in maintaining academic integrity in their work.

Violations of Academic Integrity
Violations of academic integrity are considered to be acts of academic dishonesty and include (but are not limited to) cheating, plagiarizing, fabrication, denying others access to information or material, and facilitating academic dishonesty, and are subject to the policies and procedures noted here and within the Course Catalog, including the Student Code of Conduct and the Student Judicial System. Please note that lack of knowledge of citations procedures, for example, is an unacceptable explanation for plagiarism, as is having studied together to produce remarkably similar papers or creative works submitted separately by two students.

Procedures for Addressing Violations of Academic Integrity
If an instructor suspects a student of any violation of academic integrity, the following process is to be followed:

  1. After an initial consultation with the Chair/Director/Academic Dean where the infraction is identified and its seriousness assessed, the instructor must address the situation with the student, either in writing or in person. After having addressed the situation with the student, the instructor shall determine an appropriate course of action within his/her purview as a member of the teaching faculty. (Please refer to the "Sanctions" section of this policy for possible actions to be taken in such cases.)
  2. In the case of Assignment Sanctions (see below), the instructor may submit a written summary as outlined above if s/he deems it to be warranted.
  3. In the case of Course Sanctions (see below), the instructor may submit a written summary as outlined above if s/he deems it to be warranted.
  4. In cases where either the Associate Provost or the instructor determines that the offense merits consideration by the Campus Standards Committee, the instructor works in conjunction with the Associate Provost to formally refer the case to the Campus Standards Committee.
  5. In all academic integrity matters that are handled by the faculty member, notification of the sanctions, if any, must be sent to the Provost’s office, which will notify the office of student affairs and dean of students.  Students who receive numerous violations of academic integrity may be brought before a Campus Standards Committee.

After consulting with the department chair/director/Dean of Liberal Arts, it is up to the instructor to determine how serious the offense is (based on her/his academic standards and expectations) as it relates to the sanctions to be imposed within his or her course. Both the Associate Provost and the instructor have the right to determine whether the offense warrants advancement to the Campus Standards Committee. The Associate Provost must be kept apprised by the instructor of the actions taken. If it is judged that a student has violated the University’s standards for academic integrity, sanctions may include but are not limited to:

 Assignment Sanctions

  1. Repeating the assignment or completing an additional assignment. (Please note that when sanctions are imposed in this manner, students become ineligible for an Incomplete or a Withdrawal from the course in which the sanctions are imposed if it is pursued as a result of the sanction.);
  2. Failure of the assignment with no opportunity to repeat it. No points will be earned for the assignment (that is, an F will equal a "0").

 Course Sanctions

  1. Issuance of a warning or verbal reprimand with a written description of the interaction by the instructor. Copies of such reprimands must be kept by the instructor, and submitted to the Office of the Provost who will forward copies to the Student’s Judicial File and the student;
  2. Failure of the class;
  3. Referral to the Campus Standards Committee for possible actions that may include but are not limited to suspension, dismissal or expulsion. Such referral is likely in the extreme or repeated cases involving a violation of academic integrity.

Appeals Procedure
Students who wish to appeal the instructor’s sanction(s) should follow the procedure as outlined in the Academic Policies section of the Course Catalog under "Academic Grievances". Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Campus Standards Committee should follow the procedure outlined in the "Judicial System" section of this handbook.

Back to top


All students are expected to attend classes regularly and promptly, and for the duration of the scheduled instructional time. Individual instructors will decide the optimum time for taking attendance and may penalize for habitual lateness or absence. Repeated absences may result in a grade of “F” for a course.

Students who withdraw from a course must do so in writing. Non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal.

Back to top


Professional Institute for Educators students may obtain their final course grades online through WebAdvisor|MyUArts Record. Students will be notified via email of the process to obtain grades online. Grades will be available online one week after the submission of the final course project.

Grading System

A 4.00   C- 1.67
A- 3.67   D+ 1.33
B+ 3.33   D 1.00
B 3.00   F 0.00
B- 2.67   P Pass
C+ 2.33      
C 2.00      

Grade of Incomplete ("I")

An incomplete grade may be granted only in extraordinary circumstances that prevent the student from completing coursework by the end of the semester. The grade “I” is only given when the completed portion of the student’s coursework is of passing quality. To receive the grade of Incomplete, the student must obtain written approval on the Incomplete Form from the course instructor and the Dean of Continuing Studies prior to the conclusion of the semester.

Extraordinary circumstances include:

  • Serious student illness, accompanied by a doctor’s certificate
  • Extreme emergency, substantiated by written documentation

Incomplete grades not cleared by the end of the sixth week of the following semester will be automatically assigned the grade of “F.”

Incomplete Grade Forms are available at or in person at the Office of the Registrar.

Back to top


Teacher Professional Development

PA Act 48

We are an approved provider for the Pennsylvania Department of Education Act 48 professional development requirements. These requirements are for teachers certified for Pennsylvania. Courses for credit qualify for PA Act 48 standards; non-credit coursework does not qualify. A three-credit graduate course requires outside work and is posted as Act 48 90-hour equivalency. Students must supply their unique PA Act 48 Professional Personal ID number and submit an Act 48 request form (provided in class) in order to have their credit course posted. Students should log in to the PA Department of Education website to obtain this ID number. Act 48 posting to the State occurs at the end of each month after final grading for coursework is complete.


We are an approved provider for New Jersey Professional Development (provider #4700). New Jersey teachers should follow the administrative policies of their school district, which will require either a grade report or an official transcript to be submitted by the student.

Back to top


Transcript Requests

Transcript requests can be made online, in person and by mail. The cost for normal service is $5; additional fees apply for fax, emergency, FedEx and international service. Full details are available online at

Back to top



Supplies are the responsibility of the student. Supply lists will be available online one week prior to the start of classes.

Back to top


Online + Hybrid Courses

Online and hybrid courses have the same learning objectives and use the same faculty and curriculum as our traditional classroom courses, with the added benefit of convenience. Participants have 24/7 access to course materials and can work at their own pace any time of day. Distance education is not for everyone. Students wishing to enroll in online and hybrid courses must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Access to a computer with a web browser, Microsoft Office or equivalent and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • High speed Internet access.
  • Comfort working on computers, including saving, deleting and moving files.
  • Ability to install software, as needed.

Students in online and hybrid courses will be required to participate in weekly discussions and complete all projects and assignments indicated in the syllabus.

Note: Students enrolled in online and hybrid courses will utilize the University's learning management system - Digication which can be accessed via the University of the Arts portal

Back to top



Students attending PIE courses at the main UArts location in Center City are eligible for a special free parking voucher to cover the costs of parking during class meeting times. Students must park in the LAZ garage in the Symphony House building, located at 440 South Broad Street - the corner of Broad and Pine. Participants must bring their parking ticket to the Continuing Studies office at 211 South Broad Street, 9th floor, Room 901, in order to receive the voucher.

Parking is free at all off-site locations.

Back to top


Course Cancellations

The University of the Arts reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. If a cancellation should occur, students will be notified prior to the start of classes and will have the option of taking another course or receiving a full refund.

Back to top


School Closings

On Campus

In the event of inclement weather, University officials will make every attempt to render a prompt decision regarding whether classes will be canceled. This information will be communicated throughout campus, on this website and to the local media.

Off-site Locations

Weather conditions can vary greatly in surrounding counties. If a particular off-site location is closed due to inclement weather and is announced to the media, PIE classes will not take place at that site.

Download PIE School Closings Information Sheet

Back to top



Please call, email or stop by with any questions.

The Professional Institute for Educators at The University of the Arts
Phone: 215.717.6092

Walk-In Location

Terra Hall
211 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, 9th Floor, Room 901

Download map + directions - 2 pages (PDF)

Back to top


Tax Information

Students are able to obtain their 1098T from the student portal. After logging into the portal select your Financial Profile under My UArts Record. See more detailed steps below. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Student Financial Service at or 215-717-6170.

  1. Log into UArts Portal
  2. Access My UArts Record
  3. Under the Financial Profile click 1098T Electronic Consent
  4. Agree to the terms of accepting this document electronically
  5. Then click link that says view my 1098T
  6. Save document to computer, it can now be emailed as an attachment

Back to top

This is not a contractual document.The University of the Arts reserves the right to change any curricular offering, policy, faculty assignment, or financial regulation described on this website. The University of the Arts gives equal consideration to all applicants for admission and scholarships, and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, or disability.