Pop Up Garden
2013 PHS Pop Up Garden
313 S. Broad Street
About the PHS Pop Up Garden
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society is pleased to announce the 2013 PHS Pop Up Garden on the University of the Arts' campus. This third annual Pop Up Garden opens May 20, and will encompass the University’s Dorrance Hamilton Hall, as well as a UArts-owned lot across the street at 313 S. Broad Street. The project will bring to light the relationship between horticulture and the arts, while also spotlighting the importance of local, healthy food.
The lot at 313 S. Broad Street will be the centerpiece of the project: a lush garden and mobile beer garden. The front of the space will be PHS’s official welcome area, greened with trees, an elevated lawn area, flowering plants, and enhanced with elements from the Flower Show. The back of the lot will host the garden’s mobile beer garden, conceptualized by FCM and Groundswell Design Group. Local craft beer, root beer, sangria, and locally sourced hot and cold food options will be sold in evening hours: Monday-Thursday, 5-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 1-11:00pm; and Sunday, 12-10:00pm.
What makes the 2013 Pop Up Garden distinct is that it will serve as both an evening retreat and an afternoon oasis. PHS staff and volunteers will be on site Monday-Friday from 11am-2pm to welcome visitors to the space. Guests are invited to read a book, eat lunch, relax with friends, or simply enjoy their surroundings. During select afternoon hours, students from the University of the Arts undergrad and graduate studies programs will be in the garden for special performances. PHS is working with the University of the Arts and other partners to coordinate these performances and programs.
Project Proposal Submission Process
(Open to any interested parties, with special request for those from the UArts community: faculty, staff, students, and alumni):
- All proposal forms must be submitted at least 14 days prior to your desired performance date.
- UArts students, faculty, staff and/or alumni wishing to use the PHS Pop Up Garden should submit the attached proposal form to . Performances should be scheduled during regular Pop Up Garden daytime hours, Monday through Thursday 11am-2pm.
- Any proposals for evening times or those from non-UArts affiliated individuals should go to PHS at .
- Performances will be scheduled on a first-come, first served basis and will be subject to cancellation due to inclement weather or other unforeseen closures of the garden.
- Any necessary props, equipment or supplies are the responsibility of the applicant. There is water and electric service at the garden; however, you should plan to bring all necessary cords and equipment. Unless otherwise agreed, all materials must be removed at the end of the performance.
- No permanent alterations may be made to the garden walls, furniture or other fixtures.
- Everyone is welcome to enjoy lunch in the PHS Pop Up Garden, but please dispose of all trash when you leave.
- Please don't pick or trample the plants.
- Dogs are welcome, but please leash and curb them. Dogs must be kept off the lawn.
- The PHS Pop Up Garden is smoke-free.